If you’re sensitive to mint, hate the taste or are having homeopathic treatment, your choice of toothpaste is limited. It’s tricky to find a toothpaste that meets all your oral health needs that doesn’t contain mint.
Mint flavor dominates the toothpaste market – apart from children’s toothpastes! Then a huge range of tempting tastes become available. So why is mint so often used? What other flavors are available? And are the tastier children’s toothpastes good for adults?
These are just some of the questions you can find the answers to here.
Plus we’ve researched a range of non-mint toothpastes that address different oral health issues. You can use our handy summary of the 6 most delicious and effective ones to quickly spot those that match your needs and tastes before reviewing them in more detail below.
Why is mint used in toothpastes?
Toothpastes contain nasty tasting ingredients. They’re necessary for toothpaste to do its job properly. This is true even of natural toothpastes. For example, baking soda is an amazing all round natural ingredient, but it doesn’t taste good! A strong flavor will mask these unpleasant tasting elements.
Mint makes sense because it’s strong and peppermint oil and menthol (derived from peppermint oil) have antibacterial and fungicidal properties. This means they can perform other useful tasks in your toothpaste. Plus, the strong minty smell on your breath makes it smell fresher.
As well as fighting germs, mint usually cools the mouth leaving it feeling refreshed and soothed. However, since we all have different tolerances, mint can also burn and this is one reason why some people want to avoid it.
So, for many reasons, mint has become the go-to flavoring for toothpaste manufacturers.
But if mint burns your mouth, or you hate the taste or are having homeopathic treatment, you need to find a non-mint toothpaste. Could children’s toothpaste be the answer?
Is children’s toothpaste good for adults?
Children’s pastes use a diverse and fun range of flavors to encourage kids to brush. So if you’re not a fan of mint, children’s toothpaste might seem a tempting alternative.
But is it suitable for adults?
The simple answer is that it depends on your attitude to fluoride.
Children’s toothpaste has a much lower fluoride content then adult paste. This is because children often swallow toothpaste which can cause kidney damage in youngsters. Too much fluoride can also cause white spots to develop on children’s teeth. So, our next question is…
Why is fluoride used in toothpaste?
Teeth are protected by enamel which is made of minerals. Enamel can be worn away by harsh brushing, highly abrasive toothpaste or acid attack. Acids build up in the mouth due to eating acidic, starchy or sugary foods.
Fluoride is a natural mineral. It helps to strengthen tooth enamel and repair existing damage. This protects teeth and prevents cavities.
However, there are some health concerns regarding the use of fluoride. Many people therefore are happy to use low fluoride, or even no fluoride toothpastes.
If you’re happy to incorporate fluoride in your oral health routine, you can make up for the lower fluoride content in children’s toothpaste by using a non-mint high fluoride rinse. We suggest Colgate Phos Flur Grape Rinse.
However, there are alternative ways to protect tooth enamel. For example, using xylitol toothpaste. We explain how xylitol works and review high content xylitol pastes in our article on xylitol toothpaste.
So now let’s get to the products.
Best non-mint toothpastes
To help you quickly identify the product that is best for you we have summarized six of the best products we researched in this table. Once you’ve narrowed your choice, you can read the relevant reviews below.
Redmond Earthpaste Toothpaste, Cinnamon
- Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, fluoride, glycerine and cruelty free
- 100% natural ingredients
- Reduces acid levels in the mouth
- Contains xylitol to prevent plaque build up
- Safe enough to swallow (though we don’t suggest you do this!)
- Also available in Lemon Twist flavor
- Non foaming paste takes getting used to
- Odd color (brownish grey)
- May contain trace amounts of lead, however the lead is not bioavailable to the body. You can read about why we can’t absorb naturally occurring lead here.
Redmond Earthpaste contains only five completely natural ingredients, one of which is bentonite clay. This has been used for centuries for its healing properties. When wet it becomes a super absorbent sponge for absorbing toxins.
But that’s not all. As it removes the bad stuff it replaces it with good stuff. This is because it contains a high concentration of minerals which fortify tooth enamel.
It also helps to eliminate harmful acids in the mouth. Combined with xylitol this helps to keep the pH balance of the mouth naturally healthy and prevent cavities and plaque build-up.
Redmond’s Earthpaste is massively popular on Amazon. However, the color and texture do take some getting used to. It’s runnier than normal toothpaste and does not foam.
Nevertheless, once you’ve overcome the oddness of a beige non-foaming toothpaste, you may join the ranks of fans who claim their mouths feel healthier, cleaner and fresher than ever before.
Bentonite Clay, Purified Water, Xylitol, Salt and Essential Oils (Cinnamon and Lemon Twist flavors do not contain mint or menthol).
- NATURE’S PERFECT POLISHER: Earthpaste polishes away surface stains giving you a bright, healthy smile...
- PURE INGREDIENTS: Earthpase only contains real, non-GMO ingredients, like bentonite clay, xylitol, sea salt,...
- NO FOAMING AGENTS: Once you start brushing, you'll notice that Earthpaste doesn't foam like other brands of...
Crest Complete Cinnamon Rush
- Contains fluoride to fight cavities and protect and strengthen enamel
- Well established toothpaste brand
- Removes surface staining
- Inhibits tartar build up
- Freshens breath
- Cinnamon flavor that is not overwhelming
- Handy container, easy to use and avoids waste
- Contains Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS)
- Runnier than normal toothpaste
Crest is one of the two giants in the toothpaste industry. It’s a long established and trusted brand with years of research behind its products.
This gel contains a wide range of ingredients with lots of benefits. Silica to polish teeth and remove stains, fluoride to replenish and strengthen enamel and phosphates that inhibit plaque and tartar build up.
The flavor is not overbearing, though it is quite sweet. This is because sorbitol (a natural sweetener) figures first on the list of ingredients, meaning there’s quite a lot of it.
It is a little disappointing that Crest Complete contains SLS. This is a foaming agent that can be an irritant. It’s derived from palm oil – the production of palm oil has led to severe deforestation. However, it can be tricky to track down a toothpaste without SLS which is also non-mint.
This aside, it is very positively reviewed on Amazon in terms of its flavor, cleaning power and handy dispensing style
Sodium fluoride 0.243%
Sorbitol, Water, Hydrated Silica, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, PEG-6, Glycerin, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Disodium Pyrophosphate, Flavor, Sodium Saccharin, Cellulose Gum, Carnauba Wax, Carbomer, Titanium Dioxide, Red 40.
- Fights cavities.
- Whitens teeth by gently removing surface stains.
- Bold rush of flavor.
Auromere Mint-Free Toothpaste
ProsNo products found.
- Natural ingredients which do a good all round job
- Compatible with homeopathy
- Mint, fluoride and gluten free
- Pleasing mild anise taste and texture
- Good for sensitivity
- Brown paste can take getting used to
- Contains Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS) and carrageenan
Auromere Toothpaste uses natural ingredients to effectively perform the job of a regular toothpaste. It addresses problems such as tooth decay, bad breath, sore gums and staining. It is based on an ancient system of holistic medicine and is compatible with homeopathy.
Fine chalk particles gently polish tooth enamel and lift surface stains. Their size and shape make them far less abrasive than other toothpastes. Ingredients such as peelu and neem combine to inhibit and reduce plaque, strengthen tooth enamel, heal sore gums and promote fresh breath.
Though more expensive than regular toothpaste, it is highly concentrated and multi packs are available so cost need not be a deal breaker.
It is disappointing to see the addition of SLS and carrageenan, both of which can be an irritant to some people.
No products found.
However, if you are not sensitive to SLS or carrageenan (which are widely used in toothpastes) Auromere is a great choice. Especially if you are mint-sensitive or using homeopathic remedies. Its fresh licorice taste and texture are highly praised.
For more details read our in-depth review of the Auromere brand.
Fine chalk, glycerine, water, herbal extract blend: [peelu, neem, indian licorice root, pomegranate rind, common jujube, rose apple, clove, persian walnut, barleria prionitis bark, indian almond, bedda nut, asian holly oak, prickly ash, zanthoxylum alatum, sappan wood, catechu, bengal madder, acacia arabica bark, sarsaparilla, cinnamon, medlar bark, mayweed, bishop’s weed, silica, sodium lauryl sulfate, carageenan, cellulose (plant) gum, clove oil, anethol, geranium extract, potassium sorbate (potassium salt), p thymol (from thyme oil).
No products found.
Cleure Hypoallergenic Toothpaste
- Fluoride, gluten, paraben and sodium lauryl sulphate free
- No artificial sweeteners
- Developed by a dental surgeon
- Helps reduce plaque and tartar build up
- Free of common irritants so ideal for sensitivity
- Available in a 3-flavor bundle (cinnamon, citrus and cranberry)
- Thin consistency takes getting used to
Cleure Hypoallergenic Toothpaste was created by a practicing dental surgeon who wanted to create a paste that was completely free of chemicals and allergens.
In a nutshell, Cleure is free of suspect ingredients that can cause dryness, sores or irritation. It does contain Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, but this is not the same as Sodium Lauryl Sulphate. It is a foaming agent but it does not cause irritation.
Baking soda and xylitol combine to effectively clean teeth and neutralize acids in the mouth, inhibit plaque build-up and prevent cavities.
Dicalcium phosphate is used as a gentle abrasive to lift stains whilst at the same time replenishing tooth enamel.
Cleure is a great natural choice for those with sensitive teeth and can be used by the entire family.
Baking Soda, Xylitol, Dicalcium Phosphate, Glycerin, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Xantham Gum, flavor.
- ONE 5.5 OZ CLEURE FLAVOR-FREE, MINT-FREE, FLUORIDE-FREE, SLS-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE TOOTHPASTE WITH GREAT TASTE: is...
- FORMULAED BY DENTIST WITH QUALITY INGREDIENTS: Only a dentist knows what you need to have a healthy mouth....
- FREE OF ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS, PRESERVATIVES, SLS: Sweetened naturally with Xylitol, which does not contribute...
Hello Oral Kids Fluoride Free Toothpaste
- Great non-mint taste
- Free of artificial flavors or sweeteners and sodium lauryl sulphate
- Gluten and cruelty free
- Recyclable packaging
- Fluoride free – but if you want a fluoride version it is available in Bubblegum or Blue Raspberry flavor
- Does not contain fluoride – which can be considered a pro if you are concerned about possible effects of fluoride – though a fluoride version is available.
Hello Toothpaste ingredients are highly effective at cleaning and whitening teeth as well as protecting both them and your gums. Hello is also 100% vegan, ethical and sustainable.
The fluoride free version protects teeth from cavities using xylitol. Xylitol is a natural plant-based sweetener that bacteria cannot process. So, it helps to control the bacteria load in your mouth. It also prevents bacteria from sticking to teeth.
The Hello brand is hugely popular on Amazon with a high percentage of positive reviews. You can read more about the Hello brand in our article on Hello Toothpaste.
Ingredients (Water Melon)
Sorbitol, hydrated silica, purified water, vegetable glycerin, aloe vera gel, xylitol, erythritol, natural flavor, xantham gum, lauryl glucoside, calcium glycerophosphate, titanium dioxide, potassium sorbate, stevia rebaudiana leaf extract.
- Contains 2 Kids Fluoride Free Natural Watermelon Toothpaste and 1 Kids Fluoride Free Natural Watermelon Rinse
- Hello is thoughtfully formulated with high quality ingredients like xylitol, erythritol, soothing aloe vera,...
- Hello boxes are made from 100% recycled paperboard and printed with soy inks. BPA-free and contains no...
Tom’s of Maine Fluoride Children’s Toothpaste, Silly Strawberry
- Natural fruit flavor that is not overpowering
- No artificial flavoring, color or preservatives
- Cruelty free
- Suitable for the whole family
- Contains fluoride to prevent cavities and strengthen tooth enamel
- Contains Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS) and Carrageenan both of which can be irritants
Tom’s of Maine Silly Strawberry contains fluoride to protect teeth against cavities and replenish the minerals in tooth enamel, making it stronger. A non fluoride option is available if you have concerns about the use of this mineral.
Calcium carbonate and silica gently buff away stains helping to polish and whiten teeth.
One potential drawback is that this toothpaste contains Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, commonly referred to as SLS. SLS is approved for use by the American Food and Drug Agency but can cause irritation in some individuals.
However, if you are not sensitive to SLS this is a super popular children’s toothpaste which is suitable for the entire family. The flavor particularly suits those who are not only sensitive to mint, but to cinnamon too. And it’s also available in Orange Mango flavor.
Active Ingredient – Sodium Monofluorophosphate 0.76% (0.13% w/v Fluoride Ion)
Inactive Ingredients: Glycerin, Water, Calcium Carbonate, Hydrated Silica, Natural Flavor, Carrageenan, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate.
- HELPS PREVENT CAVITIES: Contains 3 to 4.2 ounce tubes of Toms kids natural toothpaste; Our natural toothpaste...
- TASTE THEY LOVE: Our all natural toothpaste comes in a fun, fruity flavor that will help kids develop healthy...
- ADA APPROVED: Our toothpaste for children uses calcium and silica to gently clean and is ADA Accepted which...
So what’s the best choice?
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to toothpaste and it may take some time to settle on the right one for you. Being open and honest with your dentist can help speed up the process in finding a great mint-free solution.
If you’re embarking on a journey to find the best non-mint toothpaste for you, we suggest starting with a well-known and widely available toothpaste like the Crest Complete Cinnamon Toothpaste.
And remember, the best toothpaste is ultimately the one that you can use twice daily, day in and day out, to get the best from your oral health routine.
Last update on 2021-06-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API