The Oral-B GENIUS X is an advanced Electric Toothbrush that comes with Bluetooth and Artificial Intelligence (AI). This is a new premium product from the market leader Oral-B. Sitting at the top of the GENIUS Series of innovative products.
Designed for those who would benefit from an AI coach that understands their personal style of brushing. Oral-B’s Artificial Intelligence Coach has been developed by studying 1000’s of human brushing behaviors and provides the user with real-time feedback each time you brush.
6 cleaning modes including sensitive, tongue clean & gum care.
Oral-B offers dozens of toothbrush styles, many with unique functions, so it can be difficult to know which features are most important when investing in a premium toothbrush. As electric toothbrushes become more and more popular, users need to understand what differentiates one from another when deciding which toothbrush best guarantees a safe and effective oral hygiene routine. Other manufacturers offer “smart” toothbrushes – but none claim Artificial Intelligence.
This Oral-B Pro GENIUS X review is here to help you decide if this is the brush for you.
Oral-B GENIUS X Performance
The unique round head removes up to 100% more plaque for healthier gums versus a regular manual toothbrush.
The generous lithium battery can give you more than 2 weeks of brushing on a single charge.
It offers 6 different brushing modes, each fine-tuned to address specific oral hygiene requirements.
How does The Oral-B GENIUS X work?
The Oral-B GENIUS X toothbrush uses advanced cleaning technology and a unique round head for deep cleaning action to ensure a more thorough and powerful clean.
The GENIUS range includes a Smart Ring at the top of the handle that is used to indicate the status of various system functionalities via different colors of light.
Artificial Intelligence enables it to recognize your personal brushing style and coaches you to ensure best results are achieved.
The brush also has 6 different cleaning modes to suit everyday cleaning and problem areas. These include:
- Daily Clean – standard daily mode
- Pro Clean – operated with a high frequency
- Sensitive – gentle for sensitive areas
- 3D White – polishing
- Gum Care – gentle gum massage
- Tongue Clean – for every day tongue cleaning
This means that the Oral-B GENIUS X toothbrush goes beyond both manual and standard electric toothbrush cleaning by allowing users to tailor the brushing experience to suit their needs, and get valuable feedback from the onboard Artificial Intelligence.
What’s in the box?
The Oral-B GENIUS X comes with:
- 1 x Premium USB travel case (charges brush & phone)
- 1 x Handle
- 1 x Charger
- 3x Brush heads
- Lithium-ion battery
Oral-B GENIUS X options
The Oral-B GENIUS X is available in a variety of specifications and colors:
- Oral-B GENIUS X (Black)
- Oral-B GENIUS X (White)
- Oral-B GENIUS X Limited (Black)
- Oral-B GENIUS X Limited (White)
- Oral-B GENIUS X Limited (Orchid Purple)
- Oral-B GENIUS X Luxe (Black)
- Oral-B GENIUS X Luxe (Sakura Pink)
Oral-B GENIUS X pros
- One of the first Artificial Intelligence toothbrushes to offer personal coaching. Includes Oral-B App connectivity and integration.
- Long lasting battery, ideal for travel.
- Includes a USB Smart travel case (charge brush & phone simultaneously)
- 2-minute timer to ensure recommended brushing time
- Gum Pressure control
Oral-B GENIUS X cons
- Costlier than most other models in the Oral-B product range
- Includes some features that some users may find unnecessary
6 Key features unpacked
The Artificial Intelligence functionality of the Oral-B GENIUS X electric toothbrush tracks where you brush. It’s capable of recognizing your personal brushing style and provides coaching and real time feedback to ensure the best possible results.
While many other toothbrushes may only feature one or two cleaning modes, the GENIUS X boasts an impressive six. You can select which mode is most appropriate for your mouth in order to address a specific problem, such as your daily clean, teeth polishing or gum care.
Smart Travel Case
The GENIUS X comes with a smart travel case that charges the toothbrush on the go. Furthermore, it has an extra USB port which is compatible with most smartphone charging cables, so you don’t have to worry if you’re low on battery.
The Oral-B GENIUS X toothbrush has a whopping 14-day battery life, which is over double the battery life of the Oral-B Pro 500.
Unlike other models, which feature 1 brush-head style, the Oral-B GENIUS X toothbrush has 4 compatible brush head options for users to try. These include CrossAction, FlossAction, 3D White and Sensi Ultrathin. Oral-B also sell replacement brush heads separately, so you can trial several options before deciding which best suits you.
The SmartRing at the top of the handle is used to indicate the status of various system functionalities via different colors of light. These include operating and visual timer, Bluetooth pairing and pressure sensor light.
How does Oral-B GENIUS X compare?
The GENIUS X is one of the most expensive of Oral-B’s electric toothbrushes, but how does it compare to the company’s other similar products?
The Oral-B 8000 and 7000 are both part of Oral-B’s Pro toothbrush range. Like the GENIUS X, they both feature a 2 minute timer, a pro timer and an LED pressure sensor which helps to protect your teeth. They are all also compatible with the Oral-B smartphone app.
|Feature||Oral-B GENIUS X||Oral-B Genius Pro 8000||Oral-B Pro 7000|
|Battery life (days)||14||12||10|
|Cleaning Modes||Daily Clean Pro Clean Sensitive 3D White Gum Care Tongue Clean||Daily clean Gum care Sensitive Whitening Pro clean Tongue clean||Daily clean Gum care Sensitive Whitening Deep clean Tongue clean|
|Travel Case||Yes (including phone charging)||Yes||Yes|
|Oral-B Smartphone App||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Latest Price||View Deal||View Deal||View Deal|
Who is the Oral-B GENIUS X suitable for?
The Oral-B GENIUS X is most suitable for those looking for a toothbrush which:
- Is highly effective at cleaning teeth
- Require a 3D White mode for teeth polishing
- Would benefit from the Artificial Intelligence coach
- You can tailor to your own cleaning regime
- Need a long battery life
- Has different modes you can select according to your brushing needs
However, if you’re looking for a toothbrush on a budget, the GENIUS X is not the best choice for you. Instead, consider the Pro 1000 – a cheaper toothbrush that covers all of the basics effectively without any of the added frills.
Reliability and long-term use
Oral-B has long been considered the #1 dentist-used and a recommended oral hygiene brand worldwide. Furthermore, it is the first ADA-accepted electric toothbrush company. Because of this, it has earned its reputation as one of the most trusted oral hygiene brands around.
However, it is important to remember that longevity of the GENIUS X is highly dependent on correct usage. For optimal results, use the toothbrush as recommended by the manufacturer.
How to use Oral-B GENIUS X
- Apply a pea-sized amount of toothpaste to your brush and spread it around your teeth.
- Connect the brush to the app.
- Select the required mode.
- Brush! Use the app to help you optimize your brushing session and ensure that you don’t miss any areas of your mouth. When the pro timer buzzes, move on to the next quadrant of your mouth.
- Rinse. When the 2 minute timer buzzes, rinse your mouth as usual and complete your oral cleaning regime.
Oral-B GENIUS X warranty and customer support
However, if issues do arise, customer support and warranty options are important to consider. The warranty on the Oral-B GENIUS X lasts for 2 years from the day of purchase.
As well as its warranty, Oral-B offers a range of methods of customer support, including phone, email and live chat.
In addition, the following support options are available:
Live chat: https://oralb.com/en-us/contactus
It is hard to beat Oral-B’s GENIUS X when it comes bleeding edge toothbrush technology and advanced oral hygiene care. With so many different modes, customizable features and compatible brush heads, this premium priced toothbrush is perfect for those looking to invest in the best.
Frequently asked questions
- Can you use the toothbrush without connecting it to the app?
- While the app will give you a more thorough brush and provides you with real-time feedback and coaching, it can be used without connecting it to the app.
- Does it come with a purifier or just the case?
- The toothbrush comes with a smart travel case which helps you to keep it nice and clean, but does not come with a purifier.
- Can it be used in the shower?
- Like all of Oral-B’s toothbrushes, the GENIUS X is waterproof and should therefore be okay to use in the shower. However, Oral-B does not recommend immersing the brush in water.
- Can different family members use the same toothbrush?
- Yes, the GENIUS X handle can be used for all members of the family! However, don’t forget to switch the brush heads! Furthermore, you will find that you may need to charge the brush more often, depending on how many people are using it.
- Is the app compatible with iPad?
- The app should work as long as your device supports Bluetooth 4.0 (or higher) / Bluetooth Smart in order to pair your handle. Compatible smart-phones are listed in Apple App Store or Google Play.
- How often should I change the brush head?
- It is recommended that you change the brush head every three months, just like you would change your regular toothbrush. Oral-B brush heads have indicator bristles which start off colored but fade with time to indicate when it is time to change.
- Which replacement heads are compatible with the Oral B GENIUS X?
- The following Oral-B replacement heads can be used with the GENIUS X: CrossAction, FlossAction, 3D White and Sensi Ultrathin.
- Boxed Product Dimensions 3.94 x 7.01 x 9.96 inches
- Boxed Weight 1.3 pounds
Here at TheToothsayer.com we specialise in reviewing dental products and writing dental guides to help you get the best out of your smile.
TheToothsayer was founded in 2015 with a simple mission: to help you answer your dental questions. We’ve come a long way since then, with over 200 articles published across our US and UK sites.
Our founders, contributors, editors and publishers are well versed in the product categories we cover, as well as having first hand experience with a lot of the topics; from inflamed gums to orthodontics to teeth whitening.
Visit our about page to find out more.