Sumigaki Japanese Charcoal Toothpaste is made in Japan and designed to whiten your teeth, reduce mouth odor, and protect you from plaque and cavities.
Toothpaste is something that we all use every day without giving it much thought. However, a good toothpaste is the first step for your oral hygiene. It is important for fighting against plaque build-up and cavities, and preventing problems like tooth decay.
Some toothpastes have additional qualities that can also help whiten your teeth, prevent bad breath, or decrease sensitivity.
Finding the right toothpaste for you can seem like a daunting task as there are thousands on the market. New technologies are being released all the time, and it is difficult to know which ones work and which are little more than a gimmick.
In this Sumigaki Japanese Charcoal Toothpaste review, we’ll take a look at the details so that you can decide if it’s right for you.
What makes a good toothpaste?
The mark of a good toothpaste is not only how well it cleans, but also whether it protects. It should also avoid actively damaging your teeth.
The ADA guidelines on toothpaste states that they should:
- Have no less than 1000ppm fluoride
- Only contain artificial flavors: no natural sugars
- Be relatively unabrasive, with a score of less than 250 on the Relative Dentin Abrasion scale
- Support continued oral hygiene*
*The best toothpaste is one that suits you in terms of flavor, texture, and more. If you like it, you’ll be more likely to continue to use it.
|Good toothpaste criteria||Sumigaki toothpaste|
|At least 1000ppm fluoride||Fluoride free|
|Artificial sweeteners||All sweeteners and flavors are artificial|
|Relative Dentin Abrasivity less than 250||Information unavailable|
|Makes you want to use it?||A toothbrush is included|
This product contains no fluoride which means that it cannot be ADA approved. However, this certainly doesn’t mean that it is low quality, or ineffective.
The lack of fluoride is a major advantage for those who are concerned about possible detrimental effects of fluoride.
Pros and Cons of Sumigaki Japanese Charcoal Toothpaste
- Prevents plaque and decay
- Herbal mint flavor helps keep breath fresh.
- Peroxide free: Peroxide is a kind of bleach that is often used in whitening products. However, it can cause sensitivity so the lack of peroxide in Sumigaki Toothpastes makes it more appropriate for sensitive teeth.
- Contains no fluoride: Fluoride is an important ingredient for protecting your teeth and is recommended by dental professionals worldwide.
- Packaging in Japanese. If you don’t speak Japanese, it may be difficult to find information about the product.
Overall, this product is good if you’re looking for a fluoride free toothpaste. It’s also a good choice if you want a natural whitening solution. The lack of peroxides is additionally helpful for those with sensitive mouths.
On the other hand, the lack of fluoride means that this toothpaste doesn’t protect your teeth as much as a fluoride toothpaste could.
Another point to note is that it is difficult to find a lot of information about this product. This is due to most of it being in Japanese.
7 Things To Know About Sumigaki Charcoal Toothpaste
1. Does Sumigaki toothpaste work?
Firstly, the main goal of Sumigaki toothpaste is to clean your teeth. This means that it protects you from plaque and cavities. Its secondary goal is to whiten them. It also helps prevent bad breath.
So how does activated charcoal work?
Activated charcoal is different to the conventional charcoal you would use on a barbecue. Carbon based materials, like coconut husks, are heated to very high temperatures. This process makes the porous and able to soak up toxins, almost like a sponge.
The activated charcoal also has a negative charge whereas toxins typically have a positive charge. This helps to draw out the toxins from the tooth surfaces, absorbing impurities.
The charcoal is also slightly abrasive which helps to remove stains gently and restore natural whiteness to the teeth. Most importantly, it does so without using peroxides.
2. Will Sumigaki toothpaste damage my teeth?
A good toothpaste will protect your teeth as well as not cause any damage. Charcoal toothpastes can sometimes be too abrasive.
Sumigaki toothpaste is relatively gentle on your teeth which means it shouldn’t damage your enamel. However, always pay attention to how a product is working, and if you have any doubts, stop using the toothpaste and consult your dentist.
Sumigaki Japanese Charcoal toothpaste doesn’t contain any natural sugars, which is a good thing. Although it seems counterintuitive, natural sugars are worse than artificial ones in toothpaste. This is because natural sugars cause tooth decay. All flavorings and sweeteners are therefore artificial and as a result, they won’t cause decay.
3. How soon can you expect results?
Results always vary between users. Current oral health and whiteness of teeth all contribute to how drastic results can seem.
Some Amazon reviewers report an immediate improvement in whiteness and oral health. In contrast, some whitening takes a little longer. Most importantly, remember that products that don’t use peroxide may take slightly longer to whiten.
Results can be maximized by using the product as advised. Be sure to brush twice a day using a pea sized amount of paste. You should also try to avoid eating staining foods. These include coffee and red wine, and any other food that is both acidic and deep in color.
4. How long do results last?
Ultimately, this depends on how well you look after your teeth in general. The product should be used continuously for maximum effect. Likewise, avoid staining foods and smoking can help to maintain a whiter smile for longer.
5. Does Sumigaki toothpaste protect your teeth?
While the ingredients used are very gentle, Sumigaki Japanese Charcoal Toothpaste contains no fluoride. Fluoride is an important ingredient for remineralizing your teeth. Furthermore it is considered vital for your oral health.
Therefore, while it does remove plaque and other debris that can damage teeth, it doesn’t provide maximum protection for your teeth.
6. How does Sumigaki toothpaste taste?
Sumigaki Japanese Charcoal Toothpaste has a unique herbal-mint flavor. This above all leaves your mouth feeling fresh and clean. It makes a great alternative for those who are averse to conventional mint.
7. Is there something better?
Firstly, this product is suitable for those who are allergic to fluoride or concerned about the daily use of fluoride.
If you’re looking for a more natural toothpaste, then this could be a good option for you.
If you are prone to sensitive teeth, another charcoal-based product, Cali White, offers a carrageenan free toothpaste designed to cleanse and whiten teeth.
- "NATURE’S ANSWER TO TEETH WHITENING” We teamed up with Mother Nature to deliver a toothpaste with the most...
- MADE IN USA - VEGAN - CRUELTY FREE - FLUORIDE FREE - SLS FREE - GLUTEN FREE - PEROXIDE FREE - NO TRICLOSAN -...
- CLINICALLY PROVEN TO WHITEN UP TO 7.7 SHADES WHITER - Infused with the remineralizing properties of...
- ✅TRUST IN TRIPLE ACTION - Dentists recommend a charcoal toothpaste to prevent plaque accumulation. Transatak...
- ✅ WHITENS TEETH – You’ve finally found a natural way to get rid of teeth stains. Through organic black...
- ✅PROTECT YOUR WHOLE MOUTH - Healthy gums depend on strong, clean teeth and a natural charcoal tooth paste...
- THE ORIGINAL NATURAL WHITENING - Activated charcoal powder is a natural way to whiten your teeth. Organic...
- ORGANIC COCONUT CHARCOAL - Our refined organic coconut charcoal powder makes teeth whitening fast and helps to...
- THE COMPLETE PACKAGE - ,just like you. Our charcoal powder is everything you'll need to show off your best and...
Sumigaki Japanese Charcoal Toothpaste Ingredients
Water, silica (cleaning agent), sorbitol, glycerin (wetting agent), PG (solvent), cocamidopropyl betaine, lauryl sulfate Na (foaming agent), charcoal (cleaning agent), fragrance: floral tea mint type (flavoring), menthol (cooling agent), PEG-60 hydrogenated castor oil (solubilizing agent), cellulose gum, xanthan gum (binders), saccharin Na (sweeteners), titanium oxide (stabilizer).
Sumigaki Japanese Charcoal Toothpaste Summary
Firstly, this is a great toothpaste for those with fluoride allergies and anyone looking to transition to a more natural option. This gently lifts stains and freshens breath. Although this product is not ADA approved, that doesn’t mean that it’s low quality, and many regular users would testify to its quality.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I find the ingredients?
The ingredients on the box are in Japanese. Additionally, there is no information on the website. We found our list of ingredients here.
What is the suggested way to use this product?
Use it like a normal toothpaste. Firstly, apply a small amount to your toothbrush. Secondly, brush your teeth for two minutes. Finally, repeat this twice a day.
Is the toothpaste black?
The color of the toothpaste is gray.
Last update on 2021-01-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API