The h2ofloss hf-8 (Whisper) claims to be one of the quietest water flossers on the market. At around half the price of other competing brands, it is a great choice for those looking to care for their dental hygiene and their wallet.
With a mission to provide high quality dental jets at an affordable price, h2ofloss products have been at work in bathrooms across the world since 2010. Their latest product, the Hf-8 aka the Whisper, boasts many of the core features to look out for in a good water flosser.
Is h2ofloss good value for money?
|Extremely quiet – only 50db||Large and not attractive as other models|
|Large water capacity – over 2 minutes of flossing time at full pressure||Only 6 pressure settings (compared to other models with 10)|
|Pressure range 5-110psi||Pressure settings control on handle|
|Nasal sinus cleaning||Tips aren’t that robust|
|12 color coded flossing tips|
|2 year replacement warranty|
The H2ofloss hf-8 is an overall great product. The minor concessions of appearance and pressure settings pale when you consider its amazing water capacity, noise level and competitive price.
Reviewing the h2ofloss hf-8
Sounds good so far? Let’s take a look at the details.
The h2ofloss hf-8 isn’t called the Whisper for nothing. One of the most attractive qualities of this water flosser is that it operates at just 50db which is comparable to the background noise at the library. This is especially handy if you will be flossing whilst others in the home are asleep. Other water flossers can be quite loud and nobody wants to choose between their oral health and waking a sleeping child!
Large capacity reservoir of 900ml
900ml is larger than the average water flosser allowing for over 2 minutes of flossing time at maximum pressure. This allows you to really take your time to ensure that all surfaces of your teeth are properly cleaned without the hassle of refilling. However, the larger reservoir does have its drawbacks: it makes for an overall bulkier device which, paired with a slightly dated design, means the hf-8 does not look quite as sleek as rival models.
Pressure range from 5-110psi BUT only 6 pressure controls
The hf-8 has a great pressure range: from 5psi for gentle nasal cleansing to 110psi for the most thorough dental work. However, within this range, there are only 6 settings to choose from, compared to 10 settings that many other countertop models offer. Don’t let this put you off though – cordless models frequently only have 3 settings, so the hf-8 still has twice the options of its cordless counterparts. Regular water flosser users typically use up to 3 pressure settings so this isn’t a big issue, but building up to your desired pressure may be less comfortable in the short term.
Pressure settings on the handle
This feature has many on the fence. Despite being listed as a handy feature, real users have found that it can hinder more than help. Controlled with a slider ranging from P (off position) to 6, the idea is that you have all the controls at your fingertips. However, this means that setting the pressure causes the water run, making for a potentially more messy experience!
12 color-coded tips
With your hf-8 flosser, you will receive 4 jet tips, 2 tongue cleaners, 2 periodontal tips, 2 orthodontic tips and 2 different nasal irrigation tips. These are conveniently color coded to allow for easy identification – nobody wants to mix up their oral and nasal tips! Whilst it is great to have so many included, some long time h2ofloss users have been dissatisfied with longevity of the tips and some leakage may be expected over time.
2-year replacement warranty
h2ofloss will repair or replace your unit free of charge for 24 months from the date of purchase if the appliance is defective in workmanship or materials.
So what’s the bottom line?
Perhaps the most attractive feature of the hf-8 Whisper is the price. Significantly cheaper than other countertop options on the market, it is still a great water flosser in its own right. If you’re willing to make concessions on appearance and some convenience, this is an excellent option for you.
If you’re ready start your journey with the h2ofloss hf-8 Whisper, then keep reading so that you become a water flossing expert in no time at all!
How to use the h2ofloss Hf-8 Whisper
- Plug in the device then open the reservoir cover and lift the reservoir gently from the base. Fill with lukewarm water before replacing by pushing down firmly and closing the lid.
- Insert tip firmly into handle. When correctly inserted, there should be no gap between the handle and the colored ring. You should feel a click as it slots into place.
- Lean over sink with the jet tip in your mouth. Aim the tip towards your teeth.
- With your free hand, turn the unit on and slowly move the slider up – this will start the water flow. Start at a low pressure and increase to whatever feels most comfortable. Keep your mouth slightly open to allow the water to run out into the sink.
- Direct the stream of water towards the gum line at 90 degrees so that contact is made where the tooth and gum meet. Move from tooth to tooth, remembering to pause to clean between each tooth.
- When finished, turn off the unit, empty the reservoir and unplug.
Using special tips
- Place the periodontal tip in contact with the teeth and gum line. Lean the soft tip against a tooth at a 45 degree angle and gently place the tip under the gum line.
- Start the irrigator at the lowest pressure setting and clean by gently following the gum line.
- Continue tracing the gum line to massage the gums and safely deliver solution into the gingival pockets below the gum line.
Tongue cleaner tip
- Place the tongue cleaner at the back of your mouth and start the irrigator on the lowest pressure setting. Move to the front of the tongue to clean.
- Repeat until the entire tongue surface is cleaned. Increase pressure as desired.
Use the orthodontic tip to simultaneously brush and rinse hard to reach areas such as braces, crowns, bridges and implants.
- Start with the back molar and place the tip at a 90 degree angle where the tooth meets the gum line.
- Guide along the gum line, briefly pausing to brush between each tooth and around the orthodontic bracket, before proceeding to the next tooth.
Nasal Cleaning System
Nasal irrigation is an extremely effective system for cleaning the nose and sinus. For most effective cleaning, consult your doctor for advice on a cleansing solution.
Important safeguarding points:
- Follow your physician’s instructions carefully when using this product
- Closely supervise use by children
- Use the h2ofloss nasal attachment only for the nose
- Do not use any other attachment other than the h2ofloss nasal tip
- Insert the nasal jet tip into the opening on the handle. Push down firmly – it should click into place.
- Position the soft nasal blue bulb over the sink with the open end pointing upwards. Turn on the irrigator and glide the pressure setting to adjust the stream so that it is almost one inch high. Switch off the appliance keeping the pressure slider at the same setting.
- Insert the soft nasal blue bulb comfortably into the nose and turn on the appliance.
- Lean over the sink so that you can see the drain. This position minimizes discomfort as none of the solution should be able to go down your throat. The solution will gently go in one side of the nose and out of the other while stimulating nasal cilia and removing undesirable material. Continue to rinse until the liquid comes out clear.
- Remove nasal tip and switch to other nostril, then repeat the process.