The Panasonic EW-DJ10 the most compact cordless flosser on the market.
It collapses to half its size to fit in the bottom of the tiniest travel bag. Panasonic has achieved this with a unique design: the reservoir (water tank) doubles as a carry case! What’s more, the EW-DJ10 is powered by removable AA batteries, making it truly portable across international boundaries.
With its strong focus on portability, this flosser seems like the obvious choice for anyone wanting to floss on the go.
But just how good is the EW-DJ10-A? We take a look in this Panasonic EW-DJ10 review.
Panasonic – the company
Panasonic make a huge range of electrical items. They do not specialize in water flossers or oral health products like Waterpik. The Panasonic brand was once synonymous with quality. However, their image has become tarnished recently. Especially regarding customer service. This is something to bear in mind when considering the EW-DJ10. Reviews on Amazon frequently mention frustration at how the company has responded to complaints and as a whole, Panasonic only scores poorly on Trust Pilot.
Panasonic EW-DJ10 Pros & Cons
- Collapsible to take up minimum space
- Powered by removable AA batteries so fully portable internationally and not limited to the lifespan of an internal battery
- Hard to clean – users report mold developing in both parts of the unit
- Small water tank which needs refilling during use.
- Low water levels also cause drops in pressure which reduces the efficiency of the unit.
- Only two pressure settings – soft and normal
- Poor customer service
How the EW-DJ10 works
Like all water flossers, the EW-DJ10 cleans your teeth using a combination of pressurized water and pulsations. This combination is delivered to those hard to reach areas, dislodging harmful food debris and plaque from in between your teeth.
4 Key Features of the Panasonic EW-DJ10 Unpacked
1. Compact size and portability
The compactness of the EW-DJ10-A is its winning feature. Panasonic has cut the size down by cleverly designing the reservoir as a carry case. This means the unit collapses to half its original size – making it the smallest cordless water flosser you can get. Even the tip is tucked safely inside the unit so everything you need to floss with is bundled away neatly.
The EW-DJ10 is powered by removable AA batteries. The benefit here is that its lifespan is not limited by the lifespan of an internal battery. Many portable water flossers have internal batteries that degrade over time meaning the whole unit has to be thrown away. And if you are an international traveler, units with internal batteries have to be recharged on specific voltages. With AA batteries as its power source, the EW-DJ10 is truly portable.
2. Easy fill reservoir
The reservoir capacity is 5.5-ounces. If you are using the unit at its highest pressure this means you will need to refill the tank for a complete floss. Disappointingly, the pressure drops when the water is low. This reduces efficiency which is a definite downside. Its size also makes it difficult to clean completely. If you don’t allow it to dry out completely after cleaning it is prone to develop mold. Mold can cause allergic reaction and irritation. This is definitely not something you want to expose your gums to!
3. Pressure Settings
Like most cordless flossers, the EW-DJ10 has only two pressure modes. The high setting is fairly powerful and great for experienced flossers. However, using the unit at high pressure drains the batteries quickly and requires at least one refill of the reservoir. The lower pressure setting is suitable for children or those with sensitive teeth and gums.
The EW-DJ10-A is provided with a single tip. Unlike other portable models, this tip is stored neatly in a socket on the top of the unit. This is all part of the focus on portability. However, a downside is that the EW-DJ10 is only suitable for a single user – unless you buy additional tips. These then would have to be stored separately. Also, since the tip is only available in white, permanent marker would have to be used to distinguish between them.
Once in place, the nozzle can be rotated to help you aim it at different parts of the mouth.
The nozzle is not made of clear plastic. This means you cannot see any build-up of grime inside it. Therefore, you must take extra care to clean the tip after use. You also need to make sure it is dry before storing it back in the unit to avoid mold developing.
How to use the Panasonic EW-DJ10
- To begin using the Panasonic EW-DJ10 make sure everyone around you is fully awake. It’s loud for such a small beastie!
- Hold the blue water tank in one hand and pull up the white unit until it clicks into position.
- Insert the tip.
- Make sure you are leaning over the edge of the sink. Put the tip in your mouth before turning the power on. Keep your mouth open enough for water to drain out.
- Aim the end of the tip at 90 degrees to your teeth, just above the gum line. The tip should not touch your teeth or gums.
- Move the tip along the path of the gum line in each area of your mouth. The whole process should take about one minute.
Many users say the shape of the unit make it awkward to handle and you may have to adjust your grip during use. But make sure the unit remains vertical during use. Water is drawn up through a tube inside the water tank, if the unit is held at an angle the tube may not be in the water and the flow will stop.
So what’s the bottom line?
The compactness of EW-DJ10 make it a tempting proposition if size and portability matter to you. Especially given the price. However, It’s not perfect. You will need a plentiful supply of AA batteries. And you will need to refill the unit during use. Above all, to capitalize on your investment you will need to devote time to regularly cleaning and drying the unit. And until Panasonic take their customers’ needs more seriously you might be better off buying the more expensive, but more reliable, Waterpik Cordless Freedom. At the end of the day, it’s a good flosser for the single frequent traveler, but should probably not be purchased as a primary flosser.
- Easy, Effective Flossing is Here: The Panasonic Cordless Water Flosser uses pulsating targeted jets of water...
- Portable Design for Travel: A collapsible design neatly stores nozzle and easily fits in bags and luggage for...
- Two Speed Settings for Comfort: Use pulsing high speed for normal, everyday cleaning, and low speed for...
Last update on 2022-02-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API