It’s simple. Multiple studies compare water flossing to string floss and the findings are consistent. Water flossing is superior. Especially when it comes to inflammation and gingivitis. One study showed that using water flossing reduced bleeding by 93% and was up to 52% more effective at reducing gingivitis than string floss. And Waterpik are the go to brand.
In this article we give you five great reasons why you should switch to, or start, water flossing.
Let’s start by being honest. Many of us tend to cringe when the dentist asks if we’ve been flossing. Nobody wants to lie. But the truth is…. lots of us just don’t do it. Even though it’s good for us!
- Flossing takes too long
- It’s awkward to do
- It doesn’t feel nice
- It smells
- The floss frays or splits
- …and so on
But the fact is, much of what we eat and drink stays in our mouths in places your toothbrush can’t reach. Therefore, it’s important to add flossing to your daily dental hygiene routine. So, you want fresh breath and a winning smile, right? But don’t have the time, patience or dexterity with the waxy thread? The answer is water flossing!
Five reasons to incorporate water flossing into your daily, dental hygiene routine:
1. Saves Time
Water flossing is super simple and can be done in just 60-seconds per day. Simply fill up the water reservoir, plug it in (unless its battery operated) and turn on the switch! It will take a few uses to get totally comfortable with the process, but in no time, you’ll be maximizing the effectiveness of your daily dental hygiene routine. If you’re curious about how exactly to use a Waterpik®, take a look at this short water flossing demonstration:
2. Easy to Use
Waterpiks are easy to use and convenient – taking only 1-minute to floss your entire mouth! Also, water flossing requires less manual dexterity, which is good for kids or the elderly. Plus, Waterpik models come in various sizes such as countertop, kids’ models, and travel editions. You’ll be able to find one that’s right for your dental needs and lifestyle with no problem.
3. Removes Plaque
Studies show that water flossing penetrates approximately 50% further into the pockets of teeth than traditional flossing. There are different flossing tips available with the Waterpik, such as the Classic Jet and Plaque Seeker® tip, which helps to eliminate plaque in those hard to reach areas. Plaque is a major contributor to gum disease and cavities – especially if you tend to eat sugar or carbohydrates. So be sure to remove as much plaque as possible from your teeth and gum line each day.
4. Gentle on Dental Work
Water flossing is strong enough to remove food particles from in between teeth but gentle enough to use on dental work such as implants, crowns, and veneers. Furthermore, regular water flossing extends the life of dental work by keeping it in tip, top condition! Consider using a special flossing tip, like the Plaque Seeker® tip, to remove stubborn plaque around dental work, really working that gum line!
Water flossing is also a must for those with braces. There is nothing easier for removing food particles from in between brackets and wires than water flossing. It’s way more fun than traditional flossing for kids and teens with braces! And since Waterpiks are so easy to use, kids and teens can use a water flossing device all on their own. Water flossing with braces is clinically proven to be 3x more effective than brushing alone, which definitely helps protect the monetary investment braces require. Also, utilizing the Orthodontic Tip when flossing makes it easier and more effective to keep braces clean.
5. Reduces Inflammation
For those of us whose gums bleed during dental treatment, the main culprit is inflammation of the gums caused by not flossing. Using a water flosser daily reduces gum inflammation and helps prevent gingivitis. Multiple studies compare water flossing to traditional string floss and the findings are consistent: water flossing is superior. Especially when it comes to inflammation and gingivitis. One study showed that using water flossing reduced bleeding by 93% and was up to 52% more effective at reducing gingivitis than string floss.
Water flossing is also great for those with diabetes since these individuals tend to be at greater risk of periodontal diseases, including gingivitis. Water flossing to help prevent inflammation and gingivitis will help you achieve an overall clean and healthy feeling in your mouth, especially for those with diseases that can negatively impact oral health.
So, now you’re now convinced of the importance, ease, and benefits of water flossing, let’s help you get started with a daily routine. There are many amazing water flosser options available by Waterpik that are definitely worth exploring. Here are a few that you might consider purchasing:
- The Waterpik Aquarius is a top-of-the-line water flosser, which comes in a counter-top model and is great for everyday use.
- ADVANCED WATER FLOSSING: Aquarius is a performance water flosser model featuring enhanced pressure with 10...
- HIGH VOLUME RESERVOIR AND SLIM HANDLE: Holds 22 ounces for 90 seconds of use, no refilling required. Small...
- DENTIST RECOMMENDED: 9 in 10 dental professionals recommend the Waterpik brand. Waterpik is clinically proven...
- The Waterpik Water Flosser for Kids is a perfect choice for kids ages 6 and up and promotes a good dental hygiene routine. This model is also perfect for kids and teens with braces.
- CHILDREN’S WATER FLOSSER: Kids will want to floss when you give them the Waterpik Kids' Water Flosser...
- SAFE & EFFECTIVE: The Waterpik countertop Water Flosser for Kids features an extra safe electrical design for...
- TESTED & TRUSTED: Clinically proven - when used in conjunction with proper brushing, this Flosser for kids has...
- The Waterpik Cordless Freedom is a travel-sized water flosser that’s a fantastic option for those who have limited counter space or who travel frequently.
- PORTABLE CONVENIENCE: Cordless Waterpik Water Flosser is designed for travel anywhere, use in the shower, and...
- CLINICALLY PROVEN: Removes up to 99.9% of plaque from treated areas and is up to 50% more effective than...
- NO OUTLETS, NO CHARGING: Includes 3 AA batteries (no outlets or charging needed) - assuming daily use, replace...
There is an initial investment when purchasing a Waterpik – typically under $100 – and there are so many options available that you’ll easily be able to find one that fits your budget and your needs. Visit Amazon.com for some additional models and pricing options as well.
The fact is flossing your teeth and gums improves oral hygiene. The Surgeon General, CDC, your dentist and other health agencies recommend flossing daily to promote healthy gums. If experts think you should floss, it might be time to start. Flossing has some serious health benefits including removing plaque, which causes cavities and gum disease. Something we all want to avoid. Both to ensure oral health and to save on high dental costs.
Begin your water flossing routine prior to your next scheduled dentist appointment to avoid those awkward flossing conversations and improve the health of your smile! There are many advantages to utilizing a water flosser…so no more excuses!
Last update on 2022-09-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API