No products found.
Biotène is an extremely good mouthwash to relieve the symptoms of a condition called dry mouth. It soothes and refreshes whilst gently cleansing the mouth and helping to both replace saliva and encourage saliva production (view on Amazon).
There are a bewildering array of mouthwashes on the market today. And it is important to select one that meets your specific needs. If you are considering Biotène, you are probably experiencing one or more of the symptoms associated with dry mouth. Choosing the wrong mouthwash in this instance could significantly worsen an already unpleasant condition.
So here, we help you decide whether Biotène is the right option for you. Questions we answer for you in this article are:
- What is dry mouth?
- What are the symptoms and causes of dry mouth?
- What does Biotène mouthwash do?
- How does Biotène mouthwash work?
- Is Biotène mouthwash safe?
- What are the pros and cons of Biotène mouthwash?
- Is Biotène mouthwash right for me?
- What are the ingredients in Biotène mouthwash?
- How do you use Biotène mouthwash?
What is dry mouth?
Dry mouth (xerostomia) occurs when saliva glands fail to produce enough saliva to moisten your mouth.
Saliva plays a big role in oral health. It lubricates your mouth, combats bad bacteria, protects tooth enamel and shields sensitive tissue from the effects of hot foods and harmful substances.
Lack of saliva can therefore cause bad breath, damage to sensitive mouth tissue and tooth decay.
What are the symptoms & causes of dry mouth?
Symptoms vary depending on how severe the condition is. Generally they include:
- Mouth feeling persistently parched or sore
- Frequent mouth ulcers/canker sores
- Cracked or dry lips
- Excess plaque or tartar build up
- Bad breath
- Sticky feeling in the mouth
- Tongue sticking to the roof of the mouth
- Grooves in the tongue
- Difficulty speaking, swallowing or chewing
- An altered sense of taste
Dry mouth is usually due to taking certain medications. However, there are a range of other causes:
- Medications: Dry mouth is a very common side effect of many medications – especially those treating anxiety, depression, high blood pressure and allergies. Cold remedies containing decongestants and some pain medications can also cause dry mouth.
- Certain health conditions: Diabetes, oral thrush, autoimmune diseases, Alzheimer’s disease, strokes and anxiety/depression can all lead to dry mouth. As can snoring, since it leads to breathing with your mouth open!
- Cancer therapy: Both chemo and radiotherapy can cause dry mouth.
- Lifestyle choices: recreational drug use, alcohol and smoking can cause or worsen dry mouth.
- Aging: As we age we may experience different health problems and increase our use of medications that can cause dry mouth.
No products found.
What does Biotène Mouthwash do?
The key aim of Biotène mouthwash is to overcome the symptoms of dry mouth.
To achieve this it contains ingredients that soothe soreness, refresh the mouth, replace saliva and encourage saliva production.
How does Biotène Mouthwash work?
Biotène mouthwash deploys the LP3 Enzyme System. This combines three enzymes (Lactoperoxidase, Lysozyme and Lactoferrin) which occur naturally in saliva. Each enzyme contains antibacterial properties so as well as moisturizing the mouth, harmful bacteria are also targeted.
Biotène also contains a number of moisturizing ingredients that help to sooth, moisturize and refresh dry mouth. These include glycerin which combines with water to provide a layer of lubrication that acts a saliva replacement. Glycerine is a compound that is effective at preserving moisture levels and helps to create a lasting moist mouth feel.
A study of the use of Biotène mouthwash by elderly people to relieve the symptoms of dry mouth revealed significant improvements. This is important because elderly people are more likely to suffer from, and/or be taking medications for, conditions that cause dry mouth. The findings were that Biotène mouthwash is an appropriate and effective method for treating both moderate and severe symptoms of dry mouth.
No products found.
Is Biotène Mouthwash safe?
Saliva substitutes are artificial forms of human saliva. They are widely used to relieve dryness and soreness in the mouth and are regarded as safe.
Lactoperoxidase, Lysozyme and Lactoferrin – the enzymes in Biotène, are naturally derived from dairy products and are regarded as safe and and gentle.
However, you should not use saliva substitutes if you are allergic to any of the ingredients (listed below). Even though Biotène is not swallowed, since the enzymes it contains are derived from dairy products you may wish to consult a doctor if you have a dairy intolerance or allergy. And, as is always the case when pregnant or breastfeeding, you should speak to your doctor to ensure all the ingredients are safe in those circumstances.
What are the ingredients in Biotène Mouthwash?
Aqua, Glycerin, Xylitol, Sorbitol, Propylene Glycol, Poloxamer 407, Sodium Benzoate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Methylparaben, Proplparaben, Aroma, Sodium Phosphate and Disodium Phosphate.
This mouthwash is alcohol free.
What are the pros and cons of Biotène Mouthwash?
- Clinically proven to significantly reduce the symptoms of dry mouth.
- Alcohol free so refreshes without burning
- Gently cleans a dry mouth and protects against bad breath
- Uses the LP3 salivary enzyme-protein system
- Helps relieve mouth ulcers/canker sores as well as dry mouth
- Bland taste (very slightly minty)
- Thick consistency which takes getting used to
No products found.
Is Biotène Mouthwash right for me?
Dry mouth is in an irritating and uncomfortable condition that can negatively impact your well being. If you suffer from dry mouth, Biotène mouthwash is a popular and effective option with excellent customer feedback.
Biotène mouthwash is not cheap, but multi packs are available on Amazon which offer significant cost savings. Also, each bottle is 33 fl oz which is a substantial size (1 litre), if you use it twice a day it should last at least a month. Making each swish about 20 cents.
If you are willing to make the investment, you are unlikely to be disappointed. Indeed, for many Biotène mouthwash almost seems to be a miracle cure and though there are alternatives, they are not cheaper as the bottles are considerably smaller.
How to use Biodeme Mouthwash
Use 15ml/.5 fl oz (roughly a tablespoon) and swish around your mouth for 30 seconds before spitting out. Biotène mouthwash should not be swallowed.
How often you use Biotène mouthwash depends on the severity of your dry mouth condition. In most cases using it between 2-3 times a day keeps the mouth feeling moist and comfortable.
If you are receiving cancer therapies you may need to increase the number of applications.
- Glaxo Smith Kline
Lastly, dry mouth can make flossing very uncomfortable so you may wish to consider investing in a water flosser which is both a fun, fast, effective and refreshing way to floss. Always floss prior to rinsing to get the full benefits of your mouthwash.
Last update on 2022-09-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API