The Waterpik Ultra and the Waterpik Aquarius both come with big reputations. The Ultra has been referred to as the core staple in the Waterpik line and the Waterpik Aquarius has been branded the flagship device of Waterpik (view on Amazon). Both blow the competition out of the water, but how do they compare to each other?
Waterpik, Inc. has been a leader in personal oral healthcare products for over five decades. And there’s a reason why Waterpik has stood the test of time. They manufacture products that are innovative with great features and benefits.
In this Waterpik Aquarius vs Ultra Review, we will compare features side-by-side and hone in on exactly what each water flosser has to offer.
Waterpik water flossers utilize patented technology that allows them to achieve a superior level of cleaning. Both devices have impressive statistics:
- Removes up to 99.9% of plaque from treated areas
- Clinically proven to improve gum health up to 50% more than string floss
- 3x more effective clean around braces
So how does it work? Water is pressurized and ejected in a series of ultra-fast pulsations. This dislodges plaque and debris from places that brushing can’t reach, leaving your mouth cleaner than ever.
Key Features Side-by-Side
The Short Verdict
Side by side, the features of the two water flossers are very similar. However, the Waterpik Aquarius just has the edge over the Ultra in terms of features and appearance. It offers massage mode, which is great for anyone suffering with gum problems, and as the newer model, it looks more modern and sleek in your bathroom.
However, the Aquarius also usually comes with a slightly higher price tag so if you’re just on the hunt for a good quality water flosser that gets the job done, the Ultra might just be for you.
- Water jet is clinically proven to be up to 93-percent more effective than flossing
- Advanced control delivers a water pressure of 10 to 90 PSI with 1200 pulses per minute
- Removes debris and bacteria lodged deep between teeth and below the gum-line
- Significant oral health benefit for people who wear braces, have diabetes, and gum disease
- Includes 6 color-coded tips
Let’s take a more close-up look at where the features differ and why they are important.
Common Features of the Aquarius and Ultra
Both the Aquarius and Ultra are countertop water flossers. This means that instead of being hand-held, they have a larger body and reservoir that should sit on your countertop.
Countertop water flossers have a number of benefits over their cordless, handheld counterparts including:
- More powerful
- Larger reservoir range
- Extra features
Both of these Waterpiks have an excellent range of pressure available with 10 different settings ranging from 10–100psi. 100psi is very near the top end of pressure for water flossers and can achieve the most thorough clean.
The lower settings allow for a tailored experience and are especially good for those with gum issues or sensitivity.
To achieve the best results from your water flosser, Waterpik recommend that you floss daily for 1 minute. Both the Aquarius and the Ultra allow for 90 seconds of flossing at full pressure, providing you with enough water for a continuous flossing session — and more!
Interchangeable rotating tips
The Waterpik Aquarius and Ultra both feature a 360 degree rotating tip. While this may not seem like a big bonus, it has several great applications.
The 360-degree flossing tip rotation allows the tip to clean both the front and back of teeth without having to reposition the handle (view details). It makes water flossing simple, and for those For dexterity challenges this is vital.
Interchangeable tips are not essential but they do help to tailor your flossing experience to your unique needs. The Aquarius comes with one more tip than the Ultra does, but this is the toothbrush tip which is widely regarded to be the least useful!
The tips included with both are:
- Classic Jet Tip (JT-100E) – The standard water flossing tip that comes with every Waterpik device. And two members of your household can utilise the tips straight out of the box since two are included and color-coded.
- Plaque Seeker Tip (PS-100E) – Great for dental work like crowns, implants, and veneers. This tip is clinically proven to remove up to 99.9% of plaque from treated areas in 3 seconds. It is also up to 2x as effective as string floss for improving gum health around implants.
- Orthodontic Tip (OD-100E) – Composed of a tapered brush, this tip helps to remove hard-to-reach plaque around braces. It is also proven to be up to x3 as effective as string floss for removing plaque around braces.
- Pik Pocket™ Tip (PP-100E) – For use on periodontal pockets and furcations. This tip is composed of a soft rubber tip that is gentle and offers low-pressure delivery of water below the gum line for optimal rinsing.
Waterpik products have gained the trust of millions worldwide through consistently delivering quality products. Countertop water flossers typically have a longer life than cordless water flossers as they avoid problems with battery charge.
If you do encounter problems with your water flosser, the Aquarius and the Ultra both come with a 3 year warranty and spare parts for both are readily available.
Now that we have established the common ground, let’s take a look at:
4 Key Differences of the Aquarius and Ultra
The key feature that distinguishes the Aquarius from the Ultra is massage-mode (see more). Unlike the standard flossing mode, this delivers a series of pulses to the gum tissue and should be used at low pressure.
Massaging the gums is great for overall oral health but is particularly helpful for those with gum disease or gingivitis. The gentle massaging helps to promote blood flow to the area to assist with healing. It also helps to dislodge any food particles or plaque that can get stuck in periodontal pockets and furcations.
A timer is by no means a deal breaker but it is an incredibly useful tool. Many of us fail to brush our teeth for the correct time or fail to floss at all.
The built in timer on the Aquarius makes it so simple to floss for the recommended amount of time and the pacer notifies when you should switch to another part of your mouth.
As the new model, the Aquarius is undeniably more attractive than the Ultra. In general, it looks more modern, and it is also available in a wide range of colors, thanks to the Aquarius Designer range.
While the visual design has no impact on effectiveness, you need to invest in a water flosser that you will use. If a dated design means that you will hide your water flosser away instead of using it, spend the little extra and get an Aquarius Designer that you’ll be happy to show off.
As the simpler model, the Ultra is typically $20-30 cheaper than the Aquarius. If low cost is important to you, then rest assured that the Ultra is a great device in its own right.
That said, the Aquarius is the most well-known water flosser in the Waterpik range and, as a result, often has discounts applied to it — keep an eye out!
The Waterpik Aquarius and Waterpik Ultra both have thousands of reviews from happy customers on Amazon.com.. Either option is a good investment for getting a better clean, fresher breath and healthier gums in just 60-seconds per day!
The Waterpik Ultra is a great staple water flosser that is reliable and delivers results. It is a perfect no-frills flosser for anyone who wants to opt for a simple and effective flossing solution.
However, our vote goes to the Waterpik Aquarius. It really is the most advanced water flosser in the Waterpik line to date. With all the features you want, and more, the Aquarius really helps to take your oral health to the next level.
-> Read our full Waterpik Aquarius Review
-> Read our full Waterpik Ultra Review
- Easy & Effective - The Waterpik Aquarius Water Flosser is the easy and most effective way to floss, removing up to 99.9% of plaque from treated areas and is up to 50% more effective than floss for improving gum health. Perfect for braces, implants, and other dental work
- Tested & Trusted - Waterpik is clinically proven and the only Water Flosser brand to earn the American Dental Association (ADA) Seal of Acceptance. Enjoy healthier gums and brighter teeth in just 1 minute a day
- Advanced Technology - Features massage mode for gum stimulation, plus enhanced pressure with 10 settings ranging from 10 100 PSI for a custom clean. Built in timer/pacer pauses briefly at 30 secs and 1 min to help track flossing time. Delivers 1400 water pulses per minute
- High Volume Reservoir & Flow Control - Holds 22 ounces and provides 90 seconds of water capacity - no refilling required. Reservoir is top rack dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. Easily control water flow with the convenient on/off handle switch
- 7 Tips for Multiple Family Members and Needs 3 Classic, 1 Orthodontic, 1 Plaque Seeker for implants and other dental work, 1 Pik Pocket for periodontal pockets, 1 Toothbrush Tip. Tips rotate 360 degrees for easy access to all areas of the mouth
If you are convinced that one or the other of these water flossers is right for you but don’t know how to get started, never fear! Both the Waterpik Aquarius and Ultra water flosser models are simple to use, right out of the box. Here are some quick resources to give you a feel for both products and decide which one’s right for you:
Click here to view a short video on how to use the Waterpik Aquarius.
Click here to download the Waterpik Ultra Quick Start Guide: